Let me just start off this blog by saying by the time this is published I’ll be in freaking Los Angeles with my best friends. I am so excited to adventure with my two favourite people and you know if you check me out on Instagram you can see all our adventures while they happen.
Back to blogging I am super excited to be starting this monthly blog report dealio. I absolutely love reading other peoples traffic reports and whatnot so I thought I would share my own! I’ve been kind of on and off with social media and blogging, because let’s get real constantly shooting pictures (shoutout to my boyfriend Eric & my best friend Cassie) , coming up with content, and making sure you post on Instagram at least twice a day is FREAKING HARD. So, while I know if I was really on top of my game this blog and my online presence would be growing I also don’t want to get too obsessed with the numbers. So day we’re humbling ourselves and revealing it all. Let’s jump in!
MAY BLOG POSTS
If you haven’t had a chance to check them out let me recap all the wonderful posts that went up in May!
- 3 Awesome School Supplies For Your Spring/Summer Semesters
- If you’ve been around the block with me and K Is For Karly you’d know that I love school supplies. Like love them. So, because I’m in school literally all year I had to spice it up to get me through. This post reveals three of my must have items for making it through Spring and Summer semester.
- Spring Into Fitness! 2017 Spring Fitbox
- I love My Fitbox Life. LOVE IT. This is my second time working with them and they haven’t let me down. I love sharing these reviews with you because this is a company I genuinely and absolutely LOVE.
- Just A Little Floral
- Catch the one day in the beginning of May where it wasn’t freezing. And I got to wear shorts. Not only shorts, but an adorable two piece set. It was great.
- How To Take Study Notes For Your Most Effective Revision
- Ya girl hates studying. But do you know what I do love? Doodling. Combine that with studying and you’ve got a whole different animal. This blog combines my best tips and tricks on taking study notes plus a peek at my absolute favourite supplies right now.
- 3 Infused Water Recipes To Spice Up Your Spring
- My water bottle is literally my best friend. I bring it everywhere. But sometimes water can just get so boring. So in this blog I brought you three awesome recipes to spice up your water to get you chugging those oz’s. (You’ll thank me later.)
- Why You Need To Start Listening To Audio Books Right Now
- I’m a busy person. Not like a “haha” I’m busy. Like, I’m busy. And audiobooks save my freaking life. It’s the absolute best way for me to continue to learn but also not have to hinder anything in my life. I broke down the two best apps to listen to audio books with as well a bit of audio book knowledge.
- Monthly Round Up: Best Audiobooks Of May 2017
- What would I be without a round up of my favourite audio books? In this post I listed 5 (ish..) books that I listened to during the month of May!
HEY, SOCIAL MEDIA
- Okay so your girl is definitely NOT that active on Twitter. I never really have been but the importance is really there. I started the month with 54 Twitter followers and ended up with 63. Not a huge difference but I also but in zero effort.
- I have Twitter automatically set up to tweet out my blog links, but besides that I don’t really know how to engage on Twitter. It seems like a black hole of memes and ya girl isn’t funny enough for that. So, we gon keep trying.
- JUNE GOALS:
- Hit 100 Twitter followers
- Actually figure out how Twitter works, lol
- Oh Instagram. I love to hate you. Being a pretty small blogger on Instagram actually works a little in my favour when it comes to the change up of the algorithm and the whole shadow ban situation. I’d honestly say my engagement is pretty consistent across the board still, which is fantastic!
- I started off this month with 2,109 followers. And I ended the month with INSERT HERE. Now I know that’s not much growth but let me break it down really quick.
- Instagram is like a baby. If you feed it, it will grow and become strong and healthy. If you don’t your baby can get really sick and start getting weaker. That’s exactly Instagram. If you’re on top of your posting schedule and you’re constantly pumping out content then you’re golden. But let me tell you that’s freaking HARD.
- When I was post two times a day and once on the weekends (totally twelve posts a week) I was seeing the most amount of growth. I’m talking I went from 2,109 to 2,204 in like two weeks. But you know what happened? I ran out of content and haven’t posted anything consistently for like almost another two weeks. And guess what happened? THAT NUMBER DROPPED. As I’m writing this I’m at 2,139. Which is not a big change from where we started.
- JUNE GOALS:
- Hit 2,300 followers on Instagram
- POST CONSISTENTLY!
- For real though I have everything planned in a way better system than before. I’ve even written it all down. (PS If you’d like to know how I plan out my social media, including my blog posts, let me know!) (PPS even if you don’t let me know I’ll probably do it anyways)
- I’m convinced Facebook is impossible to grow. Sometimes you’ll have posts that do SO WELL and then you’ll post something even better and like 7 people will see it. I’m chalking that all up to virility and Facebook promotions. While promotions do work to a certain extent I honestly don’t think it’d be worth spending the money to promote on Facebook.
- So I’m going to be honest here I didn’t actually track my Facebook growth but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t much. I started with somewhere around 1,749 and have ended up with 1,757.
- JUNE GOALS:
- Hit 1,800 likes
- Okay, Pinterest take all my money. But seriously. Originally I was tracking my Pinterest followers growth (it went up by like 3 people) but I soon found out I needed to be tracking my reach. During the month of May my reach went from 35,500 to 43,300. WHAT THE HECKING HECK.
- Seriously though, Pinterest I’ve discovered is a completely untapped market for me. Moving into June i’ll be focusing way more on Pinterest and figuring out how to grow on there. I’ve been using two amazing services called Tailwind and Boardbooster to help grow my following and engagement on Pinterest. If you’re interested in learning about these please let me know in a comment below!
- JUNE GOALS:
- Get my Pinterest reach to 55K
- Pin at least 50 times a day (with boardbooster, tailwind, and myself)
- Reach 1400 followers on Pinterest
Okay, so I really didn’t know what actual stats to provide here. WordPress or Google Analytics. But upon further research it seems like the widely accepted “traffic reports” come from Google Analytics. (Which is a beast of a tool and I’m low-key drowning trying to really figure out what all the numbers mean. So if you have a blog post on it can you please direct me to it, ya girl needs help!)
I unfortunately haven’t been blogging consistently as I would like to. Meaning, posting three days a week every week for more than one month. So, every month I restart the process I aim for 1,000 page views. I know this is low but by not being consistent I’m essentially breaking into the market all over again. Moving forward I need start making a kick butt social media strategy to make sure I’m getting at least 100 views a day, bringing me to 3,000 per month. Here is a glimpse of my May blog stats.
- Pageviews: 1634
- Users: 622
- Sessions: 776
- Average Session Duration: 2:30
- Bounce Rate: 74.61% (brb in tears someone help me lower this)
- Highest Traffic Day: 56
OK OK, Let’s Chat About Channels
Now these numbers aren’t super impressive by any means but I thought I would still include them here so you can get an idea of what we’re working with here.
- Social: As you can see most of my sessions come from social media. Thats mainly Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! 55% of my traffic comes from social sharing and that’s actually super helpful. That means most of you guys are discovering my content from things like Pinterest!
- Direct: I believe direct means you guys are return visitors. Meaning you bookmark my content and keep coming back! I can’t even tell you how much that means so THANK YOU for that!
- Organic Search: Ya girl doesn’t work on her SEO for nothing. But seeing these numbers clearly I need to step that game up. Getting ranked on Google has been pretty hard for me. I’ve optimized every single blog post that I put out so hopefully that number will start to grow in the future!
- Referral: Referral traffic is when another blog or website links back to me! While I haven’t come across anyone linking to my blog if you did it please please send me a message and let me know! I’m so thankful for you! Additionally, I think this traffic might also come from when you comment on other peoples blogs and leave your blog link.
- Email: Okay so I didn’t send out one email newsletter at all this month so I’m not really sure how that’s there but ok. Thanks!
Who’s The Big Dog In The Social Media Game?
Am I even surprised it’s Pinterest? Pinterest is my #1 real MVP when it comes to social traffic. One of my first blog posts on K Is For Karly was How To Lock Down Your College Schedule Without Having A Meltdown and it’s been performing ever since. It gets constant repins on Pinterest and I owe probably most of my views to that post.
Facebook is the next biggest thang because I belong to a few blogging groups on there. It really helps out my traffic because there’s constantly and engaged audience that’s willing to check out your content! Additionally I can account most of these sessions to my family, who will click and read every single time. Love you guys!
There you have it! My first little stab at a bog report. I know most bloggers put in their income here as well but honestly I’m not even making enough money to warrant making a section on it. Maybe in a few months to come I’ll be able to update it but currently I’m just working hard so that one day I CAN include an income report.
- Twitter: Hit 100 followers, actually figure out Twitter
- Instagram: Hit 2,300 followers, post consistently (I’m talking 12 posts a week)
- Facebook: Hit 1,800 likes
- Pinterest: Hit 55,000 reach, hit 1,400 followers, pin 50 times a day
- Blog: Increase page views to 3,000 for the month of June
WOW WOW WOW
We’re finito you guys! This was for sure one of the longer blog posts I have ever written and a lot of it had to do with numbers and metrics. But, I did try really hard to make it simple and easy to follow along. If you stayed around this long to read this post please write ‘WORD’ down in the comments! That way I’ll know you do enjoy a lengthy informative post from time to time! Also, be sure to subscribe to our mailing list so you don’t miss out on any of the fun and exciting content coming out in June!